Friday, February 12, 2010

Cupcakes vs. Softball




Imagine a land where everything was made out of cupcakes. All the flavors that you could think of are there, the scent of vanilla lingering around the room.
Cupcakes start marching down the raisin cupcake road moving towards you. And just when you are about to hug them and bite their freaking heads off, they shake you violently.
So violently that your teeth start to chatter.
And suddenly, I find myself in my room being shaken awake by my mother as her screams echo around the room. I couldn't really concentrate on what she was saying, I rubbed my eyes again and again so I would be able to see her more clearly.
I wish I hadn't done that, now I could actually see how pissed she was.
She was getting angry at me because I hadn't been going to softball practice.
Of course, I didn't know she'd actually find out about it.
It's just that it gets very tiring, especially when practice is usually from 5 in the afternoon till 8, sometimes 9 in the evening. She asked me if I had a game today and I said, I don't know.
I couldn't concentrate on what she was saying.
I check my phone and see that it was 7:30 in the morning, and then I think, no wonder my mom is always so stressed, she wakes up too early.
She then puts matters into her own hands and calls my team mate who had been honest with my mom and told her that we had a game today. The traitor.
So there I was being pushed around and screamed at by my mother.
I don't even remember the cold shower, or the taste of the bacon I consumed for breakfast.
I just knew one minute I was in cupcake land, and the next I was on a bus going to school.
I had to ride another bus to get to the school the game was held and thankfully, when I got there, I was right on time.
It was very awkward because they were all asking me why I haven't been going to practice and I'd be all, "Oh, I've got too much homework." Lies.
They aren't that much for me to miss practice. It was a good game but we lost, I lost something else too, which was my voice.
I was cheering like a mad woman, hoping to ease the guilt of not being able to support them in the past games.
It made me feel so bad because my team mates work so hard to get in the team and yet I take advantage of it. I realized how much I actually enjoy being in the team.
I enjoy the company of my team mates. I enjoy batting and seeing it fly to the outfield, feeling proud of myself that no one was able to catch it.
When I saw how much my team gave their all in the games, it made me realize how much I wanted to be WITH them, playing with them against the other schools.
I realized how much I actually wanted it to happen.
So when I left that school, I realized how much my team actually really means to me.
The moments we have after winning a game, the moments when we'd just laugh and joke around because of some inside joke.
The friends I've made and the comradeship and that bond that was formed as well.
I love my team mates, I love my coaches, and most importantly,
I love softball.
It's time that I get my act together and improve on my softball skills to make my dad and my grandfather proud.





No comments:

Post a Comment